The Long Countdown to Spring Break

Annie+Black+%2810%29+is+shocked+that+Easter+is+so+late%2C+causing+her+spring+break+to+be+in+late+April.+

The Long Countdown to Spring Break

Annie Black (10) is shocked that Easter is so late, causing her spring break to be in late April.

Sydney Dunlap, Staff Reporter

Spring break gives students a chance to step away from the hustle and bustle of school and have some fun. Many people choose to spend this week enjoying the spring weather at the beach or the pool, anything to help them enjoy their vacation. Greenville County schools often plan their spring break the same week as Easter, and because of this Wade Hampton’s vacation is going to be significantly later than in previous years. In 2019, Easter falls on April 21, which is twenty days later than last year. With this in mind, Greenville County planned their spring break to occur from April 15-17 this year. This compares to last year’s break, which was held April 2-6. Easter corresponds with a specific calendar so it must fall between March 22 and April 25, and changes each year. Because Greenville County bases their spring break around the holiday, schools will get out significantly later than in the past.

Easter is different each year because it is a movable holiday that corresponds with the Jewish calendar. Although, as stated in a ThoughCo article, in order to create a more standardized system, western churches chose to celebrate Easter the Sunday following the Paschal Full Moon. The Paschal Full Moon could be determined by looking at a historical chart made especially for this purpose. This year Easter occurs in late April. The last time it was this late was in 2000 when it was held on April 23. For Greenville County students a later Easter means a longer period of time with no time off from school.

Students will have to endure about eleven weeks of school without any extra vacations. Greenville County’s system for deciding spring break is a stark contrast from how colleges in the area decide on a date. Most colleges, including Greenville Tech, Clemson, and USC, consistently have their spring break in March. It is usually held during a week between March 10 and March 22. This gives students a chance for a vacation at an appropriate interval that better balances the time between breaks. As sophomore Olivia Pechin said, “ I would much rather have spring break on a fixed date in March or early April each year because it would keep a consistent date while also being a much-needed break.” Until Greenville County decides to follow the footsteps of higher education, spring break will continue to change each year. Thankfully, students can look forward to an earlier spring break next year.

About the Writer
Sydney Dunlap, Staff Reporter

Sydney Dunlap is a sophomore at WHHS and this is her first year on the staff of The Herald. She enjoys being involved in her school through multiple clubs...