The Flu is Back and It’s Worse Than Ever

Leonie+Stolberg+%289%29%2C+who+might+have+the+flu%2C+realizes+she+has+a+101.1+fever+after+taking+her+temperature.+

Leonie Stolberg (9), who might have the flu, realizes she has a 101.1 fever after taking her temperature.

Luna Riley, Staff Reporter

Every year, it seems that the flu outbreak gets worse and worse. More students and families are infected with this illness, and once a person gets diagnosed, it takes a few days to get better. Besides getting the flu vaccine, there are a few ways to prevent getting sick. The flu, short for influenza, is spread by coughing and sneezing, which is usually why it spreads so quickly. When students at a school have the flu, it’s a good idea to stay away from people who are coughing or sneezing, washing hands as much as possible, and covering coughs and sneezes.

It is difficult to diagnose the flu because of how similar it is to other viral and respiratory illnesses, but it is best to stay home if symptoms like fever (though not everyone gets a fever), cough, sore throat, runny nose, body aches, headaches, chills, and fatigue. If these symptoms are evident, doctors recommend that students stay home so no one else gets sick. Some people will come to school when they first start getting ill, and that is how the flu spreads quickly throughout schools. Also, when people have had the flu, it is recommended to stay home for twenty-four hours after the fever breaks just to make sure the illness is completely gone. Being home with an illness is not always fun, and preventing illness can save making up work and school. Although, freshman Emma Shurley said, “I enjoyed staying home from school while I was sick, and I emailed all my teachers before I left so I didn’t have any makeup work when I got back.”