Join the Spider-Verse

Spider-Man%3A+Into+the+Spider-Verse+has+received+rave+reviews+from+critics+and+won+a+Golden+Globe+for+best+animated+feature+film.+

Join the Spider-Verse

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse has received rave reviews from critics and won a Golden Globe for best animated feature film.

via Empire Cinemas

via Empire Cinemas

via Empire Cinemas

Sydney Dunlap, Staff Reporter

Spider-Man has gone through a number of movies and reboots, each varying in quality. This may steer some people away from the Sony animation movie, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, but the new film will surpass these people’s expectations. It has received numerous awards, including a golden globe for best animated picture. It also got a 97% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes. In Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, Miles Morales is an average teenager until he gets bitten by a radioactive spider and becomes Spider-Man. Little does he know that he is not the only one. Miles must struggle to understand his new powers and work with his friends to save the world. The new animated movie incorporates everything that people love about Spider-Man into a beautifully made story featuring an engaging plotline, beautiful artwork, a fantastic soundtrack, and a valuable lesson that applies to both children and adults. There is nothing not to love.

As soon as the movie starts audiences will be drawn in by the blast of life and color. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, smoothly incorporates elements of comic books that reminds viewers of the history of the famous superhero. Miles Morales is a relatable character that struggles with many of the same things that students do today. This allows children and teens to easily connect with him. Meanwhile, Peter Parker and the other characters affected by a radioactive spider, live up to their expectations as well. They are well portrayed in a way similar to how they were presented in the comic books. The humorous and lighthearted tone does a great job representing Spider-Man’s character and is enjoyable for all the viewers who grew up with the story. The animation team was able to effortlessly include a variety of drawing styles that perfectly represented each character and situation.

The soundtrack for the movie was also expertly crafted. It was upbeat and unique. I was still singing it even after leaving the movie theater. This movie showed viewers the potential that superhero movies have, despite multiple failures.  As sophomore Roger McCrary stated, “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse was a completely different movie than any other. Not only does it star Miles Morales as a kid learning to be a hero, but a story like this has never been told in the film.” The only possible downside of the movie was that it may have been confusing to some people unfamiliar with the Spider-Man story, and did have some discrepancies from the comics for people who are aware of the story. With the introduction of so many different dimensions, confusion is to be expected, but I do believe that the creators of Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse minimized confusion for audiences.  This was reflective of much of the movie as well. Although it was a sad occasion, this movie did a good job commemorating Stan Lee’s death. It reflected many of his values that fans appreciated after his death, including the most important reminder that anyone can wear the mask and be a hero. There have been many Spider-Man adaptations, including eight movies, and even a musical, but this one may top them all. It has excellent characters, a memorable soundtrack, beautiful artwork, and a meaningful theme.

About the Writer
Sydney Dunlap, Staff Reporter

Sydney Dunlap is a sophomore at WHHS and this is her first year on the staff of The Herald. She enjoys being involved in her school through multiple clubs...