The History of Wade Hampton Told By Yearbooks

Brooke Stewart (12) shows off the front end page of the 1963 yearbook. The photo captures Wade Hampton's annual bonfire.

Amanda Wampler, Staff Reporter

It has been 60 years since Wade Hampton was established. By 1970, Wade Hampton had become the largest high school in the state with 2,000 students. Though that has changed, it is now one of the highest performing schools in South Carolina. These statistics are important, but since 1959, Wade Hampton has created traditions and lost traditions, and some of those traditions are still upheld today. These traditions and memories are not found on a website with statistics. These are found in yearbooks, with pictures and stories of students just like the current students.

A long-standing tradition for Wade Hampton is the spirit week bonfire. From the start of the school, the bonfire has been a staple tradition during the fall semester. Along with the bonfire, Miss Trevilian pageant has always been a part of the school year. Pageants were important back in the late 1900s, but because of how times have changed, last year was the final year of the Miss Trevilian pageant. Many students enjoyed participating in these pageants, but the sign up’s were underwhelming this year. So, as one tradition ends, it is likely another will begin. Many traditions from the 60s are no longer held, like an annual pancake party, a Christmas dance, Christmas Choral concert and the Miss Merry Christmas pageant.

Wade Hampton is constantly improving and changing and has grown so much in the last 60 years. Junior Onalee Durham comments on this, saying “I think it is so cool that our school has such a long history. Sometimes it is hard to believe that so many people have passed through here.” When walking through the halls of Wade Hampton, realize that there are so many stories left behind, and this student body is just one of many that have come and helped improve Wade Hampton.

About the Writer
Amanda Wampler, Staff Reporter

Amanda Wampler is a junior and a second year staff reporter for The Herald. She is also the editor of the yearbook. Born in Westerville, Ohio, she moved...