Is it Advantageous to Use a Locker?

While Avery Pollock (11) despises the idea of lockers, Isabella Ortiz (11), promotes the idea of using them daily

Nigel Ice

Nigel Ice

Nigel Ice

Is it Advantageous to Use a Locker?

February 8, 2019

Time to Lock up the Lockers

Time to Lock up the Lockers

Lockers being removed from school grounds would save resources, as well a space

Courtesy of Mary Griffis

Courtesy of Mary Griffis

Courtesy of Mary Griffis

What are hallways always lined with, ignored by just about every student, and the biggest waste of school resources? That’s right, school lockers. Occupying schools for as long as most can remember, lockers were always supposed to be a place where students can store extra supplies without having to lug them around all day. This idea, however, is slowly starting to become a thing of the past as students are now seen complete ignoring lockers, and rightfully so.

Most, if not all people, have always remembered schools being filled with lockers as a way to store unseeded supplies and even a place to mingle with fellow students before attending class. However, with many different social and technological improvements over the years, students today are rarely seen even acknowledging that lockers exist. An article by ALTPRESS explains that the rise of digital textbooks and the reality of high school is changing, causing students to avoid lockers entirely. The article also mentions that now, most kids would rather have everything on them rather than swapping different books and supplies out during class change intervals. This, along with other minor reasons, is the true cause of lockers being ignored by students. Sierra Burns, junior at Wade Hampton, gave her own thoughts about the idea of lockers in schools: “Lockers aren’t ideal because with the amount of time we have in between classes, it isn’t enough to put in a combination and grab what you need and still get to class on time.”  A great point brought up by Sierra was also the issue of the locker possibly being on the other side of the school completely: “it’s just a huge inconvenience”, Sierra states with frustration

Day after day, students are greeted with the ugly sight of useless lockers lining the walls with no real use. Sure, there may be one or two students that use a locker, but in a school with thousands of kids, majority rules. It is time to move on from the past and put one last lock on all lockers once and for all.