And the Hosting Job Goes to No One

Jane+Dunlap+%2810%29+practices+her+acceptance+speech+in+preparation+for+this+year%27s+Oscars%2C+which+will+not+have+a+host.++

And the Hosting Job Goes to No One

Jane Dunlap (10) practices her acceptance speech in preparation for this year's Oscars, which will not have a host.

Sydney Dunlap, Staff Reporter

Twenty-four lucky winners will receive an iconic gold statue in this year’s Oscars. Nominees can receive a variety of awards including best actor or actress in a leading role, best director, best cinematography, and best original soundtrack. This star-studded event is headed by a host who performs an opening number and connects each set of awards with entertaining skits. The Oscars are usually hosted by a comedian, with Jimmy Kimmel in the role for the past two years. Kevin Hart planned to host this year but resigned after some of his homophobic tweets resurfaced, leaving the Oscars hostless for the first time in thirty years.

Hart faced mass controversy when some of his tweets from 2011 which expressed homophobic messages, resurfaced. Despite support from Ellen Degeneres and a number of other celebrities, Hart decided to resign from the job in December. The Academy Awards was unable to find a new host since the job is considered by many controversial and lacks the reward necessary for the risk. The popular award show will instead feature multiple different celebrities leading different parts of the show. This is the first time that the Oscars would be conducted this way since 1989. Replacing Hart will be, as TIME mentions, a number of different celebrities who have starred in a variety of genres. The stars who will be taking over the hosting duties include Tina Fey, Chris Evans, Awkwafina, and Amy Poehler. The Oscars also received backlash last year due to its long run time. This year ABS hopes that splitting up the hosting job will help shorten the program. As ABC Entertainment president Karey Burke told the Hollywood Reporter, “The producers decided to wisely not have a host and have the presenters and the movies be the stars. That’s the best way to keep the show to a brisk three hours.”

Although producers are hopeful that this year’s show will run smoothly, the last time the Oscars did not have a single host, the show was very far from a success. Many viewers considered it awkward and scattered. It started with an opening performance featuring an actress dressed as Snow White that ultimately fell flat. As sophomore Avery Haan stated, “I think having multiple hosts will negatively affect the show because it might be more confusing and chaotic from the audience’s point of view. Having one person in charge makes the show run smoother and seem more professional too.” The Oscars will begin at 8 pm on February 24th and is expected to run for about three hours.

About the Writer
Sydney Dunlap, Staff Reporter

Sydney Dunlap is a sophomore at WHHS and this is her first year on the staff of The Herald. She enjoys being involved in her school through multiple clubs...