Open Letter To Students Who Steal Seats at Lunch

With seats being stolen frequently in the cafeteria, Zachary Peck (10) makes sure to make it known that his seat is off limits.

Avery Pollock

Avery Pollock

Avery Pollock

Herald Staff Member

Dear those who think they own the cafeteria,

I do not know where you got the idea that stealing my seat during lunch was acceptable, but you are sadly mistaken. The cafeteria is not supposed to be a dog eat dog environment, and yet as soon as I get up from my seat and get in the lunch line, you feel that it is necessary to move my belongings to the side and claim the seat for yourself. It is even more frustrating when half of the semester is over and you still have not found a consistent place to sit. Time for a reality check: just because you are not able to find a seat does not mean you can steal mine, as well as move all of my belongings that I purposely had there in order to show that the seat is occupied.

This issue has gotten so out of hand. I have already had to deal with two instances of seat stealing within the past week. Both cases involved you moving my belongings to the side and altering the entire lunch table atmosphere. Not only are you messing with my seat, but my friends as well. Countless incidents of you bringing your little friends over and moving our belongings have been noticed by not only me but the entire student body. Your sense of entitlement will not go on any longer within these school grounds. Take it from another student. Junior Payton Heaver had a similar experience, and gave her own two cents on the issue: “It’s really annoying when they move your stuff, and when you get there, they don’t get up for you knowing they took your seat.”

Be more considerate of other people’s seats and/or belongings and find someplace else to sit. This would never have been an issue if you had just asked about the seat’s occupant before stealing it and moving my belongings to the side. As one of many people who believe to respect other people’s property and routines, please stop stealing seats that students have been seated at for almost a year.

Sincerely,

A Herald Staff Member