An Informative View on Platoons at WHHS

An Informative View on Platoons at WHHS

Kyra Sikorski (12) proudly shows off her attributes pins

Isabella Ortiz Calzada

Isabella Ortiz Calzada

Isabella Ortiz Calzada

Isabella Ortiz Calzada, Staff Reporter

It’s no secret that each and every student at Wade Hampton high school holds their own opinion about “Platoons” and their function. For now, there is at least one thing for certain: they were created with the purpose of benefiting students. Platoons were created in order to teach students values and principles that, if learned, could positively contribute to their lives immensely. Sophomore Caroline Strinsky says, “Platoon is very beneficial to the student body. It not only helps us get to know our peers better but helps us embrace what being a general should be.”

Regardless of its efforts, Platoon has received a great amount of criticism. This criticism is due mainly to the belief that it is a waste of time. Seniors become irritated with the thought of a 30-minute extension to their school day and freshmen are still not used to such a routine, therefore, it easily becomes an annoyance or confusion to them.

Despite the negatives of students’ opinions, in the end, Wade Hampton’s hope is solely that the attributes talked about during platoon are understood and one day comes back to help the students. Senior Annie Benton says, “I think that platoon is a nice break from the regular schedule but a bit of a waste of time because a lot of the time none of us are really participating. We all think it is kinda pointless because if nobody is participating then it cannot be beneficial.” While Annie had a very good point, she had previously admitted that although many hardships come along with platoon, it has improved immensely. For example, an improvement for her was the transition to platoon during her first block instead of a group of changes. She admitted that she believed platoon could also be improved if participation were to increase, which she thought did in the most recent platoon this February about communication.