Meet Two Wade Hampton Skaters

Meet Two Wade Hampton Skaters

Seniors Josiah Goodin (left) and Austin Guy (right) pick up speed on their boards. They unknowingly show off their experience as they glide past the camera.

Lucy Garcia, Editor-in-Chief

Picture this: It is a bright and cloudless morning and a few students are walking into school. They stare at their shoes, mindlessly trekking from the student parking lot to the main building. All of a sudden, they hear something coming from behind them. It is the all-too-recognizable sound of low friction wheels against concrete. Someone breezes past the walking pack of students in a flash of light and then he is gone. Who was that? the walking students wonder in unison.

Odds are, that person was one of two seniors: Josiah Goodin or Austin Guy. Their mode of transportation? Penny boards. Penny boards are plastic skateboards with much smoother wheels than a normal skateboard. They are compact– that is, easy to carry– and preferred for transportation over a longboard. They are designed to help people get around easily. For these two guys, though, penny boarding is both a means of transport and a hobby. After seeing them skate for a few minutes, anyone could see that their strides are graceful and they are confident on their boards because of their extensive experience.

Josiah and Austin have been skating for a long time. They love it. Both confirmed that skateboarding is not as dangerous as everyone makes it out to be. For Austin, the biggest injury sustained has been a bruised hip, while Josiah has not had any notable injuries. When the two are skating off of school grounds, one of their favorite hangouts is Poe Mill, a makeshift skatepark in Greenville that stands on the ground where a mill burnt down 16 years ago.

Some people get annoyed with these skaters, but they fail to understand the importance of the boards for these people. Josiah uses his penny board to get to school on most days. He lives about 1.5 miles away. When these boys use their penny boards to transport themselves, they run into problems on the road. “Yeah, sometimes, a car will pull out in front of me and they’ll just get really mad, you know… Or we’ll be skating on the street and someone will be behind us and they’ll want us to speed up and get out of the way. Stuff like that,” said Austin on the subject. Many skaters, including these two boys, speculate that police do not like them. “Cops just hate us…” stated Austin. “…for no reason. ‘Cause they can’t skateboard.” finished Josiah.

Although, not every policeman hates skateboarders and skateboarding itself. Officer Owens (Wade Hampton’s SRO), for instance, seems to enjoy it.