Underdogs to Playoffs: Boys Basketball Season Wrap-up

Alumni+Caleb+Henry+going+up+for+a+lay+up+in+a+game+against+East+Side+High+School.+

Alumni Caleb Henry going up for a lay up in a game against East Side High School.

McKayla Epps, Staff Reporter

At the beginning of the basketball season, the boys’ basketball team was looking to replace a bulk of the roster that reached the Upper State Finals last season. After losing top scorers Will Edwards, Celeb Henry, Ethan Girardeau, and D’ Cameron Range, who helped lead the boys to a 29-3 record, the season was looked on by many as a rebuilding year for the Generals. With starters Patrick McCarter, Nick Brenegan, Jack Edwards, Trey Henderson, and Tyler Bowens, the year turned out to be a very successful one.  

As the regular season ended, the boys’ impeccable gameplay and determination led them to be the number two seed out of all the Region 1-5A schools. With this record, the boys excelled to the first round of playoffs against Riverside High School, which they played on February 13th. The Generals’ effort and hard work led them to a victory of 46-43, so they advanced to the second round.

This win also required some celebration of Coach Choplin’s hard work over the years. The win against Riverside allowed Coach Choplin to clinch his 300th win of his coaching career. Coach Choplin states, “A lot of people got me to this place. I want to thank the principals at Wade Hampton and Hillcrest that hired me, and gave me the opportunity to coach, and also a thank you to all the staff, who have helped me along the way.”

On Saturday, February 16th, the boys went to play Nation Ford in the second round of the playoffs. The boys fought hard but lost in a close game with the Falcons. Coach Choplin affirms, “As a coach, seeing this team grow has been very rewarding. Seeing them go from an underdog to being in the playoffs, really shows the hard work and dedication the boys have. I am proud of them for being humble but also having a quiet confidence on and off the court.” The generals are excited to see what the 2019-2020 season holds for the basketball team and as Coach Choplin says, “Every day is a part of the journey, lifting weights, school work, game play, etc. make the journey count.”