Wade Hampton High School’s Very Own Soccer Star

Ben Erkens (11) wondrously stares off onto the field before the first region game

Isabella Ortiz Calzada

Isabella Ortiz Calzada

Isabella Ortiz Calzada

Isabella Ortiz Calzada, Staff Reporter

Ben Erkens, a current junior at Wade Hampton High school, has recently committed to the highly regarded Clemson University. Ben has been involved in the recruiting process since the summer of his 8th-grade year. That same year, he attended a camp at Clemson University and made the all-star game. He returned to the camp this last summer and made the all-star game again. Impressed with his performance, the camp’s coach then called his club coach in regards to his great talent. The Clemson camp’s coach even visiting Ben’s regular team, becoming more and more intrigued by his skills. To continue on with the journey in his soccer career, Ben went to the recent Winter camp in order to further prove his worthiness as a potential Clemson commit.

On the weekend of February 2nd, he finally went to go meet with the Clemson coaches and they made him their offer. On February 4th, he happily accepted Clemson’s offer and became an official commit. Ben shared that he indeed did receive offers from other schools, such as Furman and Wofford, but he felt it to be his destiny to become a Clemson Tiger. When asked to express his feelings on the subject, he enthusiastically said, “It’s relieving to not have that burden on my shoulders anymore, but I’m so glad to have the opportunity to play for one of the best teams in the country and I can’t wait to be a Tiger!”