Your Honor, Permission To Win the Region

Mia+Kim+%289%29+can+not+hide+a+smile+after+finding+out+that+the+Wade+Hampton+Mock+Trial+team+won+the+regional+competition.+

Mia Kim (9) can not hide a smile after finding out that the Wade Hampton Mock Trial team won the regional competition.

Pamela Dunlap

Pamela Dunlap

Pamela Dunlap

Sydney Dunlap, Staff Reporter

In competition with the best Mock Trial teams in the region, the Wade Hampton team came out on top, earning themselves the title of Greenville Regional champions at last Saturday’s competition. In order to win this title, students must show they have a strong understanding of the law, along with the ability to think on their feet while presenting to a set of scoring judges comprised of three attorneys from the Greenville area. As the South Carolina Bar states, “The goal of Mock Trial is to educate students about the basis of our American judicial system and the mechanics of litigation.” At the region level, each team plays three rounds where they are randomly assigned to either the defense or prosecution.

The Mock Trial team prepares for the competition months in advance when they are given a case provided by the South Carolina Bar, which they use to write openings, directs, crosses, and closings for each witness. The twelve dedicated students on the team this year prepared a strong case for both the prosecution and defense, both of which must follow strict rules and time restrictions. With hard work, the team was able to secure a spot to the state competition and three most effective attorney awards and three most effective witness awards. These awards are determined by both the fellow competitors after the trial, and the attorney judges who score each team. In order to receive this award from the judges, students must be the highest ranked attorney or witness during the trial. Attorneys Rachel Schultz, Grace Brackett, and Sophia Pagliuca were recognized along with witnesses Aiden Moore, Trang Dinh, and Maison Payne.

Twelve teams will compete at the state competition on March 8 and 9, including the five winners from the other regions and seven wild cards. Wade Hampton will be in competition with last year’s state champion Heathwood Hall Episcopal School and runner-up Nation Ford High School. However, many of the students on the Wade Hampton Mock Trial team do not mind the pressure and hard work. As senior Rachel Schultz stated, “Mock Trial is an important program because it not only serves as a career exploration opportunity, but it also helps students develop critical thinking and public speaking skills. Most importantly, Mock Trial creates a very close-knit team, so students who participate develop lifelong friendships.” The team will competed in three rounds at the Richland County Central Court at the Decker Center last weekend and finished second in the state, finishing further than any other Wade Hampton team in history.

About the Writer
Sydney Dunlap, Staff Reporter

Sydney Dunlap is a sophomore at WHHS and this is her first year on the staff of The Herald. She enjoys being involved in her school through multiple clubs...