Presidential Pets

Presidential Pets

This is Ronald Reagan and his dogs.

This is Ronald Reagan and his dogs.

This is Ronald Reagan and his dogs.

This is Ronald Reagan and his dogs.

Keigan Tucker, Staff Reporter

Almost every president has had at least one pet, known as the presidential pets or maybe the First Pet. In the past there has only been one president, President James K Polk, who did not own any pets. As of right now the current president, President Donald Trump, does not have any pets but in recent news there might be a new puppy named Patton entering The White House doors soon. As far as past presidential pets go there have been some animals that have been very unexpected.

Thomas Jefferson had two bear cubs and a mocking bird. John Qunicy Adams had an alligator that resided in The White House bathroom which startled many of his guests. Herbert Hoover’s son also owned a few alligators. President Buren had his very own pair of tiger cubs, but Congress later made him give them to the zoo. The United States’ fifthteenth president showed his patriotic side by owning two of the country’s national bird, the bald eagle. While other presidents may have had a lot of pets, President Calvin Coolidge owned a zoo of animals. Out of his miniature zoo in The White House the most interesting ones included a bobcat, lion cubs, a wallaby, a pygmy hippo, and finally a black bear. Every other president, except for one, has owned some pets and a list of them can be found on the White House Pets website. Having a pet is something everyone should be able to enjoy and seeing the presidential animals makes everyone even more happy. Senior Alejandro Mejia-Tejada said, “I think it is great that most presidents have had pets while in office because it shows sympathy for animals and it makes people’s love for animals so much stronger since so many people look up to the president and their families.”

Keigan Tucker
Morgan Rhodes (10) went on the presidential pets website to look at all of the animals

About the Contributor
Keigan Tucker, Staff Reporter

Keigan Tucker is a sophomore at Wade Hampton and this is her first year on The Herald staff. In school, she is involved in many extracurriculars including...