Lacrosse Update

Mattison+Scott+%2810%29+fights+for+the+ball+in+the+team%27s+game+against+AC+Flora.+

Lacrosse Update

Mattison Scott (10) fights for the ball in the team's game against AC Flora.

Keigan Tucker

Keigan Tucker

Keigan Tucker

Sydney Dunlap, Staff Reporter

Lacrosse is different from any other sport around the country. Players use lacrosse sticks to carry a ball across the field and attempt to throw it into a goal to earn their team points and has become popular for many high schools. The game includes some unique guidelines as well. For example, players can actually run behind the goal, unlike other high school sports. The Wade Hampton girls and boys teams offer students a chance to discover a new challenging sport that allows them to learn unique skills and better themselves as athletes and as a team.

The girls lacrosse team started their season off with a bang, defeating St. Joseph nine to eight. However, both teams had trouble showcasing their skills in recent games. The girls recently lost by ten points to Boiling Springs and by six to Byrnes. The varsity boys team also had similar results losing by thirteen points against Hillcrest and twenty points to Mauldin in their most recent game. The teams are continuing to practice hard and to work to improve their team. As one of the captains of the lacrosse team and junior Grace Brackett stated, “We started off the season with a win, and we definitely have the winning mindset. We already started our first goal of starting the season with a win. However, we always want to step up our game.”

The lacrosse teams have multiple games on their schedule this month, giving students a chance to cheer on the teams. The boys JV team will play next week but is looking for new players to help round out their team. Anyone interested in playing is encouraged to contact Coach Whiteman. The boys will face TL Hanna at seven on Tuesday, March 12 at Wade Hampton. Meanwhile, the girls will face Mauldin at six at Mauldin. The girls will also play on Friday, March 15, against TL Hanna. Students can help support the teams by coming to the games and cheering on players.