Teacher Spotlight: Mr. Willey

Mr.+Willey+posing+for+a+candid+shot.+

Teacher Spotlight: Mr. Willey

Mr. Willey posing for a candid shot.

Mr. Willey posing for a candid shot.

Mr. Willey posing for a candid shot.

Mr. Willey posing for a candid shot.

McKayla Epps, Staff Reporter

As soon as someone walks into Mr. Willey’s classroom, they know it is not just any regular classroom setting. From the enormous amount of camera equipment to the iMac computers in the room, the class gives every technology junkie the feeling of being a kid in a candy store.

With this phenomenal room there is one man that keeps all the equipment running, Mr. Willey. Willey has been a part of the Wade Hampton staff for fifteen years. He first started teaching Art, and after a sparked interest from students moved to just teaching digital media arts. Now he teaches Digital Media, which allows students to learn how to use Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, and Illustrator, and Digital Media Marketing, which teaches students how to use Adobe After Effects. Mr. Willey states, “My favorite part about teaching is being able to continue my learning and also to watch the students learn. If it was not for the students, I would not enjoy my job.”

Not only does Mr. Willey teach, he does many other tasks around the school to help as much as he can. For example, every year Mr. Willey does team pictures for most of the sports teams at Wade Hampton. This year, he did girls soccer, girls golf, volleyball, and a few others, but he said it varies from year to year on which sports he does. With the pictures he takes he is able to buy new equipment for his classroom. He has been able to buy a few GoPros, Drones, and other types of camera equipment as well. Mr. Willey is always trying to improve what he is teaching and this is one of the reasons he is such a good teacher. From the celebration days, which are days to celebrate every student’s work, to learning how to use IMac Computers, Cameras, Video Cameras and many other types of equipment, Mr. Willey always finds a way to engage his students in a fun way of learning. Thank You Mr. Willey for everything you do for our school!