The Biltmore Estate

The Biltmore Estate

“We had so much fun on the trip. I always went to the Biltmore with my mom when I was younger and I still love it.” said senior Annika Phillips.

Amanda Wampler, Staff Reporter

For the past few years, students in foreign language classes have been taking a field trip to the Biltmore estate. This year, the high level German and French classes spent the day at the estate and took part in a guided tour and free time in the gardens and stores. Even during the fun free time, students learned about the rich history of the land, the house, and the Vanderbilt family.

Just across the border of North Carolina in Asheville is the Biltmore estate, the famous tourist attraction. The house was previously the home of the Vanderbilts, though it is difficult to believe anyone could live in a house that massive. It has over four acres of floor space and has sixty-five fireplaces, forty-three bathrooms, and thirty-five bedrooms. The inspiration for this house was magnificent châteaux, or castles, of France. Following the Renaissance styles, there are carved decorations on the outside of the house including gargoyles, grotesques, flowing tracery, and lookouts. All of these aspects create a beautiful facade from the outside, but the most interesting aspects are within the house. The enormous, winding, cantilevered staircase was inspired by the Château de Blois in the Loire Valley of France, and it is an amazing thing to see.

The house itself is beautiful and interesting, but the history behind it may be even more interesting. This prominent Gilded Age family lived a life almost unimaginable. Their house has a bowling alley and a swimming pool. These were just two of the indoor activities that the family’s guests could participate in. Because the house rested on 125,000 acres of land, there were plenty of outdoor activities, like archery and horse riding, to be enjoyed.

Students enjoyed a thorough guided tour that included many details regarding the house and the estate. Senior Annika Phillips said, “We had so much fun on the trip. I always went to the Biltmore with my mom when I was younger and I still love it.” The trip was fun for all the students that went, and they got to learn about some of the country’s vast history.