The Madness is Back

The Madness is Back

Sam Thomas (11) and Drake Stambaugh (11) were making their 2019 March Madness bracket predictions at lunch.

Keigan Tucker, Staff Reporter

Basketball is a popular topic during the month of March. Everyone is busy taking bets and filling out brackets, hoping they have a perfect or at least near perfect line up. March Madness is a premier sports event that involves sixty-eight teams playing in a total of sixty-seven single elimination games. The games will be played over a period of nineteen days beginning on Tuesday, March 19th and ending on Monday, April 8th. Last year Villanova won the championship and this year Duke is still favored to win it all.

During the month, people start to fill out a bracket, guessing who they think will win each game up until the very final one. With these, some participate in bracket challenges in the hopes of winning money. In 2014, a billionaire named Warren Buffett decided to start his own bracket challenge, betting that if someone could make a perfect bracket by correctly guessing each of the winners, they will win one million dollars every year for life. This year he decided to double the prize if a team from Nebraska, his home state, wins. The odds are most definitely on Buffett’s side with the chances of getting a perfect bracket standing at one in over nine quintillion. Junior Grayson Hall said, “To me March Madness is one of the best sports events of the year and one of the most interactive to fans. My favorite part is making the brackets and even if they aren’t accurate it’s fun to compare with my friends and see who is getting the most right.”

Each team is placed in a different seed based on how good they are, with the best teams being placed in the first seed and the worst in the sixteenth seed. A list of each team and what seed they are in can be found on CBS Sports. It is a very exciting month for basketball and the name madness proves to be true with the hysteria it causes through the fans.

About the Writer
Keigan Tucker, Staff Reporter

Keigan Tucker is a sophomore at Wade Hampton and this is her first year on The Herald staff. In school, she is involved in many extracurriculars including...