The College Admissions Scandal No One Was Prepared For

Cut it out, Aunt Becky!

Daughter of Lori Loughlin (who played Aunt Becky on Full House) Olivia Jade dropped out of USC after the cheating scandal was publicized.

Lucy Garcia, Editor-in-Chief

In any US History course, students learn an important term: rule of law. This term means that everyone in this country is subject to the same laws, no matter their status. Celebrities and commoners alike break the rules, and celebrities cannot avoid punishment for their actions even if they are extremely affluent, or rich. Actresses Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin learned this lesson the hard way. The two women were involved in a recent scandal that involved their children being accepted into prestigious schools under false pretenses. Huffman was released from jail on bond for $250,000 and Loughlin and her husband J. Mossimo Giannulli had a much larger bond of $1 million.

Huffman (who is probably better known as the wife of Frank Gallagher from Shameless) paid to raise her daughters SAT scores. She claimed that her daughter had a learning disability in order to extend the time for her test and she also hired a proctor. William Singer, CEO of a nonprofit college admissions, orchestrated the whole thing. Loughlin’s daughters got in through a much different way. Loughlin paid $500,000 of bribes to have her daughters viewed as recruits for the USC rowing team.

The most notable people involved in this scandal were celebrities but coaches, CEOs, and administrators have all been charged as well. Were these celebrities trying to get around the rule of law by using their money to surpass hardworking kids? Senior Elizabeth McCall commented, “It’s extremely unfair to the kids who have worked really hard their entire academic lives to insure they get into college. There’s so much effort that goes into applying to college that it’s crazy they just got the entire thing handed to them and didn’t have to do any of the work. I think this really shows how privilege and money can strongly affect your life in college and honestly your whole future.”

There is currently a $500 billion lawsuit against Loughlin and Huffman. Both women have deleted their social media accounts. Loughlin has been removed from affiliation with the Hallmark channel. Olivia Jade, Loughlin’s daughter, has lost brand deals. Hopefully this scandal deters celebrities from cheating their way into college in the future.