State is for the Boys and Girls

Hanh+Le+%2811%29+fills+out+the+form+for+Girls+State+so+she+can+attend+the+leadership+conference.++

State is for the Boys and Girls

Hanh Le (11) fills out the form for Girls State so she can attend the leadership conference.

Sydney Dunlap, Staff Reporter

South Carolina offers students a unique opportunity to learn about leadership in the summer between their junior and senior year. The one week program helps six hundred high achieving students who are active in their community and interested in government to develop essential characteristics that help them become successful leaders in the future. The Palmetto Girls and Boys State conferences will occur from June 9 to June 15 this year where students will stay on two campuses in the upstate. Girls State will be held at Presbyterian College for the tenth consecutive year. Meanwhile, Boys State will be held at Anderson University.  

During the program, students are separated into groups called cities. Each city has thirty students where delegates have the opportunity to, as the American Legion Auxiliary states, “create local governments, devise political party platforms and ultimately elect a Senate, a House of Representatives, and state constitutional officers.” Every delegate can run for a position so that they can help lead and support the conference. However, they must create their campaign materials during the week. This helps to level the playing field and allow everyone a chance at a position. Throughout the week, students listen to industry professionals that explain relevant topics, such as creating a well-written campaign speech. However, it is not all work, as delegates can also participate in a band or chorus made up of fellow students. There is also a talent show that they can audition for and perform for the rest of the delegates later in the week. The days are jam-packed full of activities so that everyone can find something they enjoy while also helping students to better themselves for the future.

Students can sign up to participate in Palmetto Boys or Girls State by picking up a form from Salahudin-Bolden in the guidance office. Girls and Boys State also gives students scholarship opportunities, especially at the host colleges of Presbyterian College and Anderson University. However, at many other schools the state recognizes the participation of applicants in the nationwide event due to the valuable experience it gives students. As junior Grace Brackett stated, “I am applying to Girls State because I think it will give me another hands-on experience with governmental procedure like YIG as well as Mock Trial does. This is the field I want to go into eventually, so it would be great as far as learning about the ins and outs of government. I really hope to gain insight into how certain government activities go and of course, make new friends.” The American Legion plans to announce the students who have been selected to attend the program throughout March, April, and May.

About the Writer
Sydney Dunlap, Staff Reporter

Sydney Dunlap is a sophomore at WHHS and this is her first year on the staff of The Herald. She enjoys being involved in her school through multiple clubs...