Wade Hampton FBLA Storms North Charleston

All of the Wade Hampton students who competed at SCFBLA SLC before the Awards Banquet.

Anjosia Ellerbe

Anjosia Ellerbe

Anjosia Ellerbe

Julianna Crawford, Staff Reporter

On Thursday March 21,  the Wade Hampton High School delegation to FBLA’s State Leadership Conference departed for North Charleston. The next three days were nothing short of eventful. Some highlights included getting featured walking through the Wendy’s Drive-Thru on the Snapchat Our Story for North Charleston, shopping at Tanger Outlets, and Coach Ravenel picking up a Jeep while trying to help another school’s bus get out of a parking spot.

Students attended seminars Saturday including: College:What it’s Really Like by Hunter Harley, a former State President and current USC student, and Why PBL? an information session about why students should join Phi Beta Lambda, the collegiate version of FBLA. For the first time, SLC also had a South Carolina College Fair for students to attend instead of seminars. This SLC was also the largest ever, in fact many middle schools could not compete because there was not enough room to host them. This is in large part due to the massive growth of FBLA in SC District 3 which encompasses the Florence, Horry, and Sumter area of the state. Currently Wade Hampton is the only high school in Greenville County attending State Leadership Conference and the FBLA district is the smallest in the state. Out of the 15 Students competing these are the ones that placed:

Coach Ravenel
Seniors KeiAsiia Marsh and Tyanna Warner celebrate their 4th place prize in Management Decision Making with Mrs.Ellerbe

Management Decision Making requires competitors to take an objective test on: Management Functions and Environment, Business Ownership and Law, Information and Communication Systems, Strategic Management, Human Resource Management, Ethics and Social Responsibility, Financial Management, Careers, Marketing, Economic Concepts, and Business Operations, and a case study that they have twenty minutes to prepare for where they assume the role of management and have to provide a solution to an issue in one of the following areas: human resource management, financial management, marketing management or information systems management.

Coach Ravenel
Seniors Julianna Crawford and Leidy Velazquez and Junior Trang Dinh accept their 4th place win in Global Business.

Global Business requires competitors to take an objective test on: Basic International Concepts, Ownership and Management, Marketing, Finance, Communication (including culture and language), Treaties and Trade Agreements, Legal Issues, Human Resource Management, Ethics, Taxes and Government Regulations, Currency Exchange, International Travel, Career Development, and a team role play performance where they have to solve a problem in the international arena.

Jack Conner, Tyler Corn, and Jack Lewis- 2nd place in Sports and Entertainment Management

This event requires competitors to take an objective test on: Sports and Entertainment Marketing/Strategic Marketing, Facility and Event Management, Human Resource Management (Labor Relations); Promotion, Advertising, and Sponsorship for Sports and Entertainment Industry; Financing and Economic Input: Planning, Distribution, Marketing, Pricing, and Selling Sports and Entertainment Events; Sports Law; Communication in Sports and Entertainment (Media); Ethics; Licensing; Sports Governance; Careers; Marketing/Management Information Technology and Research; Leadership and Managing Groups and Teams in the Sports and Entertainment Industry; Management Strategies and Strategic Planning Tools; and Basic Functions of Management. When they scored in the top eight in test scores, they then competed in a team role play performance where they had to solve a problem outlining the understanding and awareness of sports and entertainment issues within today’s society.

Seth Dorchen- 2nd Place in Intro to Business Communication

This is an event just for freshmen and sophomores that requires competitors to take an objective test on: Grammar, Punctuation and Capitalization, Spelling, Proofreading & Editing, Word Definition and Usage, Oral Communication Concepts, and Reading Comprehension.

Coach Ravenel
Junior Grace Brackett accepts her 2nd place prize in Electronic Career Portfolio.

This event is specific to the student because it requires the competitor to include their real-life achievements. Their portfolio must include a resume as well as the story of the applicant and their achievements and goals in life.

Julianna Crawford
Senior Robert Harris celebrates his 1st Place win in Sales Presentation.

This event requires competitors to give a sales pitch to judges on a product of their choosing. Playing off of a joke from district competition, Robert did a sales pitch on a box of tissues he made scented using essential oils.

All of these competitors have the opportunity to compete at the National Leadership Conference in San Antonio, Texas June 29–July 2. Any current FBLA members interested in becoming an officer should go speak to Mrs. Ellerbe to get the proper information. Any students interested in competing next year should join Future Business Leaders of America at the start of the 2019-2020 school year.