A Promising Soccer Season for the Varsity Lady Generals

The varsity soccer team is a close knit group of girls; they push each other to do their best at each game.

Sydney Dunlap

Sydney Dunlap

Sydney Dunlap

Lucy Garcia, Editor-in-Chief

Soccer season is in full swing, and the varsity girls team has been consistently dominating the field. As of March 27, their record is 7-0-1 in the region, which is a near perfect start to the season. There are eighteen girls on the varsity team for 2019 and the players have a wide range of skills. These skills can be attributed to hours of practice at Wade Hampton and previous experience on club, middle school, or recreational teams.

Senior Riley Parsons is a captain who has committed to play soccer in college at the University of Alabama Birmingham. When asked to comment on the key to team success, she said, “We are the most successful when we all work together. Soccer is a team sport, so if we don’t all contribute and put in the maximum amount of effort then we won’t have the outcome we were looking for.” Watching the girls work together is exciting. There are rarely ever moments where the field is still and silent. Between calculated passes, beautiful throw-ins, and lots of verbal communication, spectators are kept busy.

The team to beat this year is JL Mann; the single loss this season can be attributed to this powerhouse. Mann won the state championship last year, and one of their seniors, Caroline Conti (a Clemson commit) can be largely attributed to their success. However, the Lady Generals are working hard in practice to beat them when they face Mann again this season. In fact, on the days following each game, the girls head back to practice and work on skills that the coaches felt were lacking during the last match up.

The next home game is on April 4 against Easley at 7:00. Wade Hampton students are encouraged to come out and show support for a team that has the potential to win big this year.