Crossfire: Promposals- Yay or Nay?

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Crossfire: Promposals- Yay or Nay?

March 28, 2019

Is the act of “promposing” super cute or completely overrated? YOU DECIDE after reading this Crossfire.

Will You Go to Prom With Me?

Tyler+Pearson+%289%29+created+a+perfect+promposal+to+ask+his+friend+Jonnie+McCall+%289%29+to+the+prom.+

Will You Go to Prom With Me?

Tyler Pearson (9) created a perfect promposal to ask his friend Jonnie McCall (9) to the prom.

What is better than signs, puns, and love? Prom season is coming and with it, a series of what is now known as “promposals.” This phrase became popular when students started asking their significant other to prom in a number of creative ways. These special requests became so elaborate that they were compared to marriage proposals, thus coining the term promposal. While this process may seem over the top, for couples it is an important gesture that gives students an opportunity to be creative and express their commitment.

Promposals are often cute and funny, including things like signs, t-shirts, food, and music. Some people complain, saying that promposals are over the top or even mean, but that is not true for many of the students who participate in them. Those who attempt such an elaborate request for a date are often part of an established couple trying to do something extra special for their significant other. Even when the students are not a couple, it gives everyone a unique opportunity to be creative and customize their request to the person they are asking. It is more impressive when someone is asked on a date, especially to prom, using something that they are interested in. If someone plays softball, their partner may write “Prom?” on softballs, or if they love dogs, their partner may ask them with a puppy in their hands. This is a great way to be personal and unique. Prom is one of the most important experiences for high schoolers and many of them want it to be special, even when it comes to being asked. However, as freshman Claire Taylor stated, “I want something genuine, not something extra.” Promposals do not always have to be in public and are many times followed by the answer “yes” rather than “no.” They help to better the prom experience and create plenty of happy memories and cute pictures.

Students use prom as an opportunity to show their partner that they matter. By putting time and effort into creating a unique way to ask their partner on a date, a boyfriend or girlfriend can show that they care about their significant other and are willing to put in the time and effort necessary to make them smile. Plus nowadays, teenagers are becoming increasingly disconnected. They communicate through technology instead of face to face and oftentimes, would rather text instead of call. It is important that people continue to find time to do something special for each other and spend time with their friends and significant others. Plus, who would not appreciate being asked to prom through a choreographed dance instead of a simple text? Promposals are funny, cute, and meaningful so we should keep spreading love and creating amazing ones.