The Progress of WHHS Pole Vaulting

The Progress of WHHS Pole Vaulting

Senior Maia Aviles in action.

Senior Maia Aviles in action.

Senior Maia Aviles in action.

Senior Maia Aviles in action.

Isabella Ortiz Calzada, Staff Reporter

This year’s pole vaulting student-athletes have made tremendous improvements throughout this season. The team has been very successful thanks to Coach Owens. Just recently, the JV girls team won at county. According to junior Mackenzie Trotter, “Owens has allowed other schools, such as Southside Christian and Riverside, to attend practice and they are super helpful competition and support.” She also says significant progress has been made within the last few weeks due to this change at practice. Many team members have been able to work on their strengths and weaknesses more individually as the season progresses. In the pole vaulting event, athletes try to hold onto the pole for as long as possible. The weight of the poles has to be just right for the vaulters to pop over the cross bar properly. At practice, athletes work on their form.

Current competitors have a well-rounded set of talents, which means more victories for the team. To attain an even wider skillset, Coach Owens has worked closely with athletes. The overall standing of the team as a whole is impressive. However, there are some sole athletes that go above and beyond. Pole vaulters like junior Payton DeLuca who has transitioned from seven to eight feet, junior Jonathan Napier who has been going for thirteen feet, and senior Maia Aviles who is attempting nine feet. With all of the accomplishments met this season, it is definitely safe to say there are many great things in store for the WHHS track team.