Cason Whitmire Makes CofC His Homebase

Cason+Whitmire+%2811%29+at+the+plate+ready+to+hit+the+ball.+

Cason Whitmire Makes CofC His Homebase

Cason Whitmire (11) at the plate ready to hit the ball.

ME

ME

ME

McKayla Epps, Staff Reporter

Playing sports in college is not a small task to take on. From the endless amount of practice time, games, school work, and the expectation of having a respectable reputation, playing sports in college is not for the weak. The College of Charleston believes junior Cason Whitmire is capable of exceeding these roles and wants him to be a new asset to the baseball team in the year of 2020.

On April 5, 2019, junior Cason Whitmire announced that he committed to the College of Charleston. Whitmire states, “I chose College of Charleston because I love the city and saltwater, Charleston is just a great place to be. My biggest inspiration is my family, I just want to make them proud in everything I do, not just in baseball but in life.” Whitmire has been a key player for the Wade Hampton varsity baseball team and their success for the past two years. Showing expertise in all forms on the field, he is undoubtedly a utility on the field. Whitmire has played baseball for about ten years and his favorite part of the game is easily hitting a ball at the plate. In his free time, he loves to fish, and play anything from ping pong to pickup basketball at the YMCA. One of the biggest takeaways from his time playing the game was taught by his dad and his hitting coach, Ron Smith. He says, “They taught me how to stay calm in any situation that comes on and off the field, and that is bigger than baseball. Once I understood that it helped me tremendously.”

Coach Large, Wade Hampton’s head baseball coach, is proud of Cason’s success and is excited to see how he does in college. He states, “Cason is an asset to the team because of his leadership and work ethic. He is constantly encouraging guys to put more work in and be the best they can. Now that he is committed, I would tell him to enjoy his last year of high school. Continue to prepare the way he has, but play the game with no pressure and have fun. I would tell him to look around and soak in every moment because, in about 10 years, he will be looking back at the memories he has made. Also, I would tell him to stay humble and never quit becoming a better person. Continue to better yourself on and off the field and become a productive member of society.” Cason Whitmire plans on playing baseball next year at Wade Hampton as a General and moving to Charleston in the fall of 2020 to start his college career as a Cougar.