How to Save A Life

Provided by LinkedIn

Provided by LinkedIn

Nevaeh Arnold, Staff Reporter

As it has been done for many years here at Wade Hampton, Blood Connection will be coming on April 30 to collect blood from students. Student council usually brings awareness to this event a few weeks beforehand by going around encouraging students to participate. Council members ask everyone they possibly can throughout the weeks, having students sixteen and older sign-up. If a student is sixteen, they must have a parent fill out a permission form and either have it the day of or turn it in early. Many students are either scared of donating blood, in fear of passing out, or they do not really see the point in it. Junior Jamison Alexander states, “I don’t know if I’d get a disease from the needles because I don’t know if the needles are clean.” Donating blood, however, is actually very beneficial.

Something a lot of people do not realize is that almost everyone is capable of donating blood. One of the benefits of donating blood is that people get the joy of knowing they are saving someone’s life. In fact, every two seconds, someone is in need of blood. According to Blood Connection, a single donation of blood has the potential to save up to three lives. The blood donated could be used to treat patients with Sickle Cell disease. Since this is one of the most common blood diseases, patients are always in need of transfusions so this requires lots of blood. According to the American Red Cross, “Approximately 36,000 units of red blood cells are needed every day in the U.S.” There are 150 billion red blood cells in a single ounce of blood, however, blood is only viable for forty-two days after donation. Blood is always in huge demand so it is used pretty quickly within hospitals. Hospitals are always in desperate need for Type O negative blood due to its ability to go to everyone, but only seven percent of people within the US have it. Thirty-eight percent of the population is able to donate blood or platelets, yet roughly only seven million donate, and this is only within the United States.

Not only are there reasons to donate blood, but there are also some different kinds of benefits for the person donating. According to Healthline, donating blood has the capability to reduce stress, improve emotional well-being, help get rid of negative feelings, and improve physical well-being. Healthline states, “A 2013 study found that regular blood donation significantly lowered the mean total cholesterol and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol, protecting against cardiovascular disease. Researchers note this is consistent with findings in other studies which found that blood donors had a lower risk of heart disease and heart attack.” Also, while donating blood, it is somewhat like a checkup. People are able to find out their blood type as well as sugar levels during that time. Donating blood is both beneficial to the body and mind as well as to the recipients that are in medical need. Donating blood is a great way to save a life.