Coffee with Counselors

Coffee with Counselors

WHHS Counselor, Barbara Dansby, can not wait to see all the parents that attend the Coffee with Counselors.

Madison Brothers, Staff Reporter

Wade Hampton has introduced a new program for parents of high school students. It is called “Coffee with Counselors” and it is taking a new direction in how to help parents deal with the struggles of teenage children. There will be four separate sessions held throughout the year for parents to attend. The sessions start at 8 AM and are held in the Red Room of the Wade Hampton Media Center. The first session will take place on September 25th and the Wade Hampton Mental Health Counselor, Becca Horney, will be talking about teen suicide prevention.  

September is the National Suicide Prevention month and it is important to learn about how suicide plagues our society. Statistics show that suicide is one of the leading cause of death in the United States and society is seeing a rise in suicide of teens. High school is an experience everyone goes through, but the intense pressures of being a teenager is taking a toll on many students. This is why it is important to learn about suicide and to be able to see signs of a struggling student. The goal of the first session of Coffee with Counselors is to explain to parents how important it is to take action against suicide and how to help a struggling teenager as they go through their high school career. 

There will be a meeting every quarter. The first meeting will take place on September 25th and the other meetings will be in November, January, and April. Parents can keep updated on the specific dates by going to the Wade Hampton Counseling page. Each meeting will talk about a different topic that relates with teenagers in high school and how to help them. Rita Kirven, the WHHS Counseling Clerk, said that “[t]his is another step in helping the students of Wade Hampton and it will benefit so many people”. So, keep up with the school counseling department and see what they have planned to help the Wade Hampton students.