Megan Rapinoe wins FIFA Best Women’s Player

(Left to Right) Lilly Jo Wise (9), Olivia Costello (9), Sasha Younginer (9), Royton Boulware (9) are hanging out before the U.S Women’s National Soccer game in Charlotte, NC!

Alden Wise, Staff Reporter

Throughout the year of 2019, Megan Rapinoe has become a major influence on kids and adults in the soccer community. Rapinoe, number fifteen, plays as a forward striker for the U.S Women’s Nation Team. In the 2019 World Cup, Megan Rapinoe scored six goals even after being out for a minor injury in the semi-final against England. The reason U.S soccer fans believe Megan Rapinoe won the FIFA Best Player was because she won the Golden Boot, the Golden Ball, and helped her team win the World Cup. Megan Rapinoe was also awarded to the FIFA FIFPro Women’s World XI, along with five other U.S women players such as Alex Morgan, Julie Ertz, Kelley O’Hara, and Rose Lavelle.

Freshman Royton Boulware said, “I think Megan Rapinoe deserved the FIFA Best Player award because she used her fame and success to speak out for something she really cares about.” While Rapinoe has incredible talent in soccer, she is also a gay female, which is not well accepted in this day in age, but she continues to fight on and off the field. Rapinoe uses all the criticism to help her play stronger, support the fight for equal pay, and continue to help her take action for a normal life. Winning the FIFA Best Player award gives a great win to Rapinoe, but also a great win for all the women who continue to fight and prove why they should have equal pay for women in sports. Overall, Megan Rapinoe has influenced many soccer players and soccer fans to fight for what they are passionate about and will continue to inspire people for as long as she lives.