Students Can Vote in Primaries at Seventeen

Alisabeth Faircloth (12) registering to vote on her Chromebook at school.

Luna Riley, Staff Reporter

Throughout high school, most students become more and more independent. They want to do everything by themselves, and this is completely normal for their cognitive development. Big events happen during the last few years of school, and it seems that a lot of life events happen around year eighteen. Graduating high school, driving, voting, or buying lottery tickets all happen around most peoples eighteenth year. One of the most independent things people can do at this age is vote, and by voting teenagers are contributing their voice to society and how the government should be run. This is one thing that students actually have a say in and their  vote actually counts. It is so important to vote now, so that students’ voices and opinions are heard throughout the country. 

One thing a lot of people do not know is that students can vote in the primaries at age seventeen. If teenagers are eighteen by the general election, they can vote in the primaries at seventeen. In an article on FairVote.org its says, “17-year-olds can vote in Congressional and/or Presidential primaries and caucuses in a large number of states, including Alaska, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Mississippi, Nebraska, Nevada, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina, Virginia, Vermont, Washington, West Virginia, and Wyoming.” This allows students to have an even more influential say in who becomes president because they will actually get to decide instead of picking between the two people from different parties. Primary elections is the process voters can vote for who they want their party’s candidate to be in an upcoming general election. History teacher, Ms. Mangle, said, “Voting is the citizens opportunity to have their voice heard. If you do not vote, you’ll get taken advantage of.”