Apple Pie Cookie Cups: A Must Have Fall Dessert

Junior+Chloe+Fish+enjoys+the+tasty+Apple+Pie+Cookie+Cup+during+lunch.+

Junior Chloe Fish enjoys the tasty Apple Pie Cookie Cup during lunch.

Madison Brothers, Staff Reporter

Fall is a season that is known for its delicious desserts and one of those is Apple Pie Cookie Cups. This dessert is one that should be on everyone’s list when they volunteer for fall festivities and are asked to bring a dessert. They are super easy to make and they provide a slice of heaven for apple pie lovers. They are also perfect for a large party because duplicating the recipe is simple. When doing research, I came across the Betty Crocker recipe and here it is so you can make your own Apple Pie Cookie Cups. 

Ingredients: 

• 1 pouch (1 lb 1.5 oz) Betty Crocker™ sugar cookie mix
  • Flour, butter and egg called for on cookie mix pouch for cutout cookies 
  • 1 ½ cups apple pie filling with more fruit (from 21-oz can)
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon

Steps: 

1. Heat oven to 375°F. Grease 24 regular-size muffin cups with shortening; lightly flour.
  2. In a large bowl, mix cookie mix, flour, butter and egg with a spoon until soft dough forms. Measure 2 cups of the dough, and set aside the remaining dough. Using the 2 cups of dough, firmly press a heaping tablespoon of dough into bottom of each muffin cup.
  3. Chop apple pie filling into small pieces; place a generous 2 teaspoons pie filling in the center of each cookie cup. On floured surface, roll remaining dough 1/8 inch thick. Using small 1 to 1 1/2-inch cookie cutter, cut small shapes of your choice. If necessary, press any leftover scraps together, and reroll on floured surface to make a total of 24 cutouts. Place one cutout on top of apple pie filling in each cookie cup.
  4. In a small bowl, mix sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle on tops of cutouts. Bake 14 to 17 minutes or until edges of cookies are deep golden brown. Cool 10 minutes in pan on cooling rack. Run metal spatula around edge of each cookie cup to loosen; cool in pan 20 minutes. Remove cookies from muffin cups to cooling rack to cool completely.    

This recipe was super easy to make and follow. It took me about an hour to make 24 cups, however that time includes cooling and the typical distractions of a crazy household. It was an enjoyable treat and everyone who tried it said they would totally eat it again. Freshman, Will Brothers said, “The apple pie makes me excited for fall and I can’t wait until I get to eat them again!” If you love the sweet taste of apples and sugar cookie, along with cinnamon, you will love the delectable Apple Pie Cookie Cups. They are perfect for any activity during the upcoming fall season.