Wade Hampton Participates in Nation-Wide Event

Wade+Hampton+students+gather+around+the+flag+pole+before+school+to+pray+over+the+building+and+its+occupants.+

Wade Hampton students gather around the flag pole before school to pray over the building and its occupants.

McKayla Epps, Staff Reporter

On Wednesday 25th, 2019 millions of students and teachers across the nation came together around flagpoles to pray over their schools, teachers, and classmates. The students and teachers gathered for an event known as See You At The Pole (SYATP). SYATP is celebrated annually on the 4th Wednesday in September across America as a way for individuals to come and pray for their local schools. The event is 100% student-initiated, student-organized, and student-led around the nation. According to this article, the event started like this, “A small group of teenagers in Burleson, Texas, came together for a DiscipleNow weekend in early 1990. Little did they know that God was about to move in power. On that Saturday night, the students were broken and burdened for their friends. Compelled to pray, yet not knowing exactly what to do, they went to the school flagpoles and prayed for their friends, schools, and leaders. Those students had no idea how God was using them to birth a movement.”

At Wade Hampton, a group of students and teachers came to celebrate this occasion at our flagpole. The participants gathered around the pole at 8 am in a circle and took turns leading the group in prayer over the school and its occupants. The prayer session lasted about thirty minutes allowing all the students to pray. Senior Ben Erkins participated in the event and loved what he saw. He states, “I love Jesus and this event has everything to do with Jesus, so I loved getting the chance to talk to him with my peers before school. It was an awesome event and it made a stressful morning joyful. That’s what Christ does.” See You at the Pole was very successful and students plan to do it again next year!