Nine Charles Townes Center Students Try to Kill Their Teacher

The+school+that+students+attended.+

The school that students attended.

The school that students attended.

The school that students attended.

The school that students attended.

Alden Wise, Staff Reporter

After school hours, nine Charles Townes Center students created a group chat on Instagram to try to kill their teacher and were soon caught by the Greenville police. While there were more than nine students involved in the chat, only nine of them made unnecessary threats about their teacher. The eighth grade students who created the group chat were put up for suspension, arrest, charges, and possibly expulsion. The Greenville Police Department continues to leave the names of the teachers and students unidentified. Greenville County Schools says that it is an unfortunate situation, but they hope it will send a strong message to stay away from this type of behavior to students across the district. The district along with many parents and children attending the school were considered to be fearful of what would happen next. The Greenville County Schools District says that after being given the opportunity to be a part of this gifted and talented school, students who could have had a great future, might have to give being a part of the Charles Townes Center up just over one little threat made on social media.

According to The Greenville News, one student that was interviewed by the law enforcement said that they believed the threats were all jokes and there was no real harm to the teacher. Junior Gabriel Boyd said, “I think it is important that kids realize the value that words they say over social media have because talking about killing a teacher, whether it is a joke or not, it is a serious matter that should not be taken lightly.” According to FOX Carolina, the district says that even if this was a joke, they still wanted to take it seriously because something bad could have happened to the staff or students of the school. Many parents believe that the nine students involved deserve the punishment they were given because it was not just a joke, but was a very serious idea they were actually trying to do.