ACT Exam: Students Can Now Retake Individual Sections Next September

Image provided by the ACT YouTube Channel.

ACT Youtube

ACT Youtube

ACT Youtube

Avery Pollock, Staff Reporter

College exams, such as the ACT and SAT, are a big part of a students who plan on attending a four year college after high school. Now, high school students looking to improve their ACT college exams scores may finally have a better chance at doing so come next September, according to the Iowa City-based testing company. 

An article by Iowa City Press-Citizen discusses the changes the company plans on enacting and state that the change “will make the test a better indicator of how well a student will perform in college.” The ACT officials enacting these changes come as ACT reports of year-to-year declines in math and English Scores, and with some universities simply dropping both the SAT and ACT scores from their entrance requirements. Along with the ability to be able to retake individual sections on the exam, the ACT also announced its offering of online testing centers rather than the traditional paper exams it has used in the past. This change would allow students to get their results in two days rather than waiting two or more weeks. All of these announced ACT changes will be enacted by September of 2020. Once these changes are implemented, “students will be allowed to retake up to three individual portions of the test at a time. Students who opt to retake portions will be provided an ACT “superscore,” or a tally of their best scores on each individual section. 

With the news of these changes coming next year, underclassmen alike are feeling a little less stressed about their future ACT endeavors. Freshman Jackson Tucker says that while he is a ways off from taking this college entrance exam, “I still feel better knowing that I can always retake a part I did bad on.”