Ellen DeGeneres and George W. Bush’s Controversial Friendship

Ellen DeGeneres and George W. Bush were spotted having a conversation at the Cowboys-Packers game.

Christine Wu, Staff Reporter

At the Cowboys-Packers football game, talk show host Ellen DeGeneres was spotted sitting next to and making conversation with former president George W. Bush. This sparked controversy and outrage over the internet as onlookers questioned how a friendship between a liberal lesbian and a conservative Republican was possible. Ellen was famously known to have come out as a homosexual in 1994, and in 2004, Bush had argued for a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage. 

Criticism was especially abundant through twitter when many pointed out Ellen’s habit of banning individuals from appearing on her show when they have expressed views that are different from hers. Some of those celebrities include Caitlyn Jenner, Vince Vaughn, Kim Burrell, and Sherri Shepherd. They were all originally banned due to certain homophobic comments they have made. Kevin Hart was also found making homophobic jokes, and as a result was forced to step down from hosting the 2019 Oscars. However, rather than banning him, Ellen came to his defense. Her mixed responses regarding similar behavior from different people allowed the public to label her as a hypocrite. When it comes to people she has a friendship with, tolerance is preached, but when it is any other person, their appearance is forbidden on her platform. 

Unlike many other of her controversial critiques, Ellen responded to the comments aimed towards her friendship with George W. Bush. A portion of her show was used to explain the circumstances and to defend her relationship with the former president. Charlotte Jones, the daughter of Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, had invited Ellen and her wife, along with some other known figures to the football game. Ellen was aware that she would be surrounded by people with dissimilar backgrounds and views as her, including the former president. She acknowledged those who were angry at the videos and pictures of the two laughing and making conversation and explained that one does not have to share all the views and opinions of those they are friends with. Sophomore Selina Wu agrees with Ellen’s statement as she voices, “it is okay to have different opinions than your friends, because everyone believes in different things.” Ellen DeGeneres wrapped up the segment with a declaration on kindness, and how it is not reserved only for the people you are similar to, but for everyone.