Putting Some ”Step” in the Generals

The+Stepping+G%27s+preform+for+the+pep+rally+during+spirit+week.+

Putting Some ”Step” in the Generals

The Stepping G's preform for the pep rally during spirit week.

McKayla Epps, Staff Reporter

The 2019/2020 school year brought many new additions to Wade Hampton High School. From a new principal to being able to wear flip flops, the generals experience a lot of changes. One of the many additions to the new year was the creation of The Stepping G’s. The Stepping G’s is Wade Hampton’s new step team. The team consists of 19 girls and is sponsored by Mrs. Keri Tisdale and Ms. Donnette Lewis. According to this article, ”Stepping or step-dancing is a form of percussive dance in which the participant’s entire body is used as an instrument to produce complex rhythms and sounds through a mixture of footsteps, spoken word, and hand claps.” The group spends countless hours perfecting their craft. They meet 3 days a week and work together to express themselves through rhythm and song. One of the girls on the team, Aby Faircloth, loves being a part of the team. She states, ”I love being a part of this group. I love step dancing and it has been a great outlet to meet new people with the same interest.” 

At the pep rally last Friday, the Stepping G’s performed for the first time in front of the student body, and the students were very impressed. Senior Kemy Barrera stated, “The stepping G’s were really good and they exceeded my expectations. I did not know what stepping was so it was really cool to watch them and learn more about it.“ Wade Hampton is excited about its new step team and can not wait to see the team’s success.