Getting Ready to Appreciate Your Teachers

Ms. Mangle proudly shows off her Bill of Rights mug that one of her students gave her.

Allyssa Maloney, Staff Reporter

What is Teacher Appreciation Week and why does it exist? Teacher Appreciation Week is a day meant for honoring your teachers and recognizing the lasting effect that they have on our lives. Every day, they touch the hearts of children everywhere. This teacher “Valentine’s Day” is usually celebrated by giving a gift to either all of your teachers or just your favorite teacher(s).

What other gifts can you give your teachers? Well, if you didn’t know, you don’t have to just get material items for your teachers, though they are greatly appreciated. Turning your assignments in on time, respecting them, and actually listening for once are just a few things you can do for your teachers. “We’re sorry we suck sometimes,” Lauren Putman (10) said apologetically. Tommy Benton (11) has great gift ideas. “Just give your teachers radishes and they’ll love you.” Okay, maybe that isn’t such a great gift idea.

Mrs. Mangle loves Teacher Appreciation Week. She’s received a Harriet Tubman t-shirt, Bill of Rights disappearing civil liberties mug, random Chick-Fil-a biscuits, and several handcrafted notes. Getting the perfect gift for your teacher requires you to know your teacher’s interests. You can’t just get a Star Wars fan something from Star Trek and expect them to like it. Mrs. Mangle also said that sweet, thoughtful gifts given to her from students have actually encouraged her. She said, “It can be needed motivation to keep teaching!”

When Teacher Appreciation Week rolls around, be sure to thank your teacher. Whether it be verbal, shown through actions, or shown through gifts, it will all be greatly appreciated.