Open Studios Has Opened in Greenville

Open Studios Has Opened in Greenville

Credits to The Boston Calendar for providing this image.

The Boston Calendar

The Boston Calendar

The Boston Calendar

Avery Pollock, Staff Reporter

With November kicking off and the fall air making another grand reappearance, it is once again time for the annual November weekend event of Open Studios in Greenville. This event, while only lasting for two days, is one that many local artists make an essential part of their fall season.

Open Studios, as mentioned before, is an annual event held from November 9th to the 10th, or Saturday and Sunday respectively. The event being held this weekend will be the 18th year in a row since its launch and originally began as “an idea cast about during a casual conversation between a small group of artists several years ago; they discussed doing something to raise awareness in the greater community of the tremendous creative energy in the area.” This idea has since become a full fledged event in the past decade. The event held this year will feature over 150 different artists and their respective studios spread across downtown Greenville, Easley, Greer, Travelers Rest, and Simpsonville. The goals of Open Studios, according to the official website, are “to provide free and convenient community access to visual arts, to educate and create a dialogue between artists and the general public by opening artists’ place of work and inviting the community-at-large to participate in the creative process, and to create new marketing opportunities for artists.” The event is widely seen as a place to spark creative outlets for upcoming artists and experienced artists alike. Senior Emily Richardson, while not the most interested in visual arts, still exclaims that not only is it a good idea, but that “it is a great addition to have to our local area and it is something new to go and see.” 

All students at WHHS should be encouraged to attend this weekend event not only to support the local artists, but to indulge themselves in the thousands of different pieces of visual arts on display. There are no requirements or experience in the visual arts in order to attend this event. Any student(s) interested in this annual event should visit the Open Studios website for more information regarding other specific questions.