The ‘Black Death’ Plague Returns in China

Thanks to the CTV News Chanel for providing this image.

CTV News (Avery)

CTV News (Avery)

CTV News (Avery)

Avery Pollock, Staff Reporter

Just last week, there were two confirmed cases of the black death plague in China. That is right, the black plague. The infamous disease responsible for wiping out almost two thirds of Europe’s population during the 14th century, has just been reported popping up again in China. Since the two reported cases last week, however, another victim of the plague has been reported.

Shockingly enough, the third victim has not come in contact with either of the other two infected victims. Since the news first broke on the incident China has shown how they are handling the current incident by quarantining the two infected individuals, according to The New York Times, so there is no way that the third victim could have had the disease transmitted through personal contact with the two other victims. It is believed that the third victim, a resident of a different area of the country, contracted the illness after eating a wild rabbit that he had killed, according to BGR

The good news, if one can call if that, is that the third case is a different variant of the disease. The pneumonic plague, a potentially fatal variant of the disease, was found in both of the first two individuals while the bubonic plague, the variant found just recently in the third case, can be combated easier with more efficiency. Both cases, however, still pose a threat to the rest of the population of China. With no source being determined from the recent outbreak, China has made it clear that anyone suspected of having contracted the plague immediately get tested, but health officials remain confident that a complete outbreak of the plague is very unlikely. Freshman Dalton Cooper when first hearing about the news was not only shocked, but very concerned. In an interview, Cooper stated “I hope that it doesn’t spread anywhere else and infect any more people. “

As stated before, a full outbreak of the age old plague is very unlikely today. With modern medicine and technology being the safeguard in today’s society, it is almost certain that the plague will remain quarantined and controlled.