News That Saddens the World

Jeopardy+host%2C+Alex+Trebek+%2C+age+79.+

News That Saddens the World

Jeopardy host, Alex Trebek , age 79.

Jeopardy host, Alex Trebek , age 79.

Jeopardy host, Alex Trebek , age 79.

Jeopardy host, Alex Trebek , age 79.

Alex Stern, Staff Reporter

“Jeopardy!” is a famous game show viewed worldwide with millions of viewers. However, this game has a twist. The answers are provided by the host, and then the contestants must supply the question that goes along with the answer in order to gain their points. Alex Trebek is the face of the game show and has over a million fans across the world. Trebek has been the host of Jeopardy since the first release of the show in 1984. Trebek has won not only one, but six Emmy Awards for Outstanding Game Show Host along with the Lifetime Achievement Award

In October 2019, it was announced that Trebek is battling pancreatic cancer . Pancreatic cancer is a disease where cancer cells form in the tissues around the pancreas. This is most commonly found in men while the likeliness of getting this disease increases with age. Trebek is an open book when it comes to talking about his illness and has been very supportive of interviewers and willing to answer his fan’s questions. He says he has “No choice but to stay in treatment.” (survivor.net) The type of cancer Trebek is battling is known to be diagnosed in the later stages when it has become more difficult to treat. Sources say that Trebek is undergoing another round of chemotherapy after his doctors noticed rapid weight loss and test results showed “sky-high” numbers. 

Trebek’s next step in his battle is unknown as of right now. Since it is a public situation, there will  be media coverage on it as soon as information is available. Freshman Jenna Lemons says, “My family watches that show some nights and it is sad to hear about what he has been going through. I hope that everything turns out well.” Trebek asks for his fans to keep supporting him and watching the show.