College Football Rankings

College Football Rankings

The most recent college football rankings.

Alden Wise, Staff Reporter

During the football season, college teams get ranked based on their wins and who they play. At the beginning of the week the rankings were Ohio State was number one, LSU was number two, Alabama was number three, Penn State was number four, and Clemson was number five. Many Clemson fans were appalled by how low they were on the poll considering they were current National Champions of the year. According to USA Today “‘It just doesn’t matter,” he said, in a statement that was probably parroted by every other coach in college football – and which should be echoed by every fan, but won’t be. “If we’re 2, 3, 4, 15, it doesn’t matter,” Swinney went on. “It’s not worth the brain cells.’” Clemson players stayed calm knowing that eventually it will all even it out since Ohio State and Penn State must play later in the season and also Alabama and LSU have to play each other. 

Over the weekend, LSU and Alabama played each other and LSU pulled off a big win against Alabama, which put a lot of consideration on where the teams were ranked now. Penn State also lost against number seven, Minnesota, which also changed a lot in the most recent rankings. The recent rankings are LSU as number one, Ohio State as number two, Clemson as number three, Georgia as number four, and Alabama as number five. Freshman Lilly Jo Wise says, “I feel like you can never really count on the polls this early because not all teams have played their biggest rivals which is unreliable until the end of the season.” Overall, many teams probably do not even worry whether if they are in the top four of playoffs until the last few games because there is always room for improvement.