Toys for Tots

Toys for Tots

Toys for Tots is a great organization to help brighten someone's holiday season.

Avery Haan, Staff Reporter

Toys for Tots is an organization that seeks to help bring joy to those on Christmas who are less fortunate. The foundation was founded in 1947 as a part of the Marine Corps Reserves. In the last year, Toys for Tots has donated 18 million toys to 7 million kids. The program took place in 800 communities throughout all 50 states as well as Washington DC, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands. Toys for Tots also has a literacy program to help disadvantaged kids learn to read. Last year the program raised $454,802. They distributed 1.6 million books to schools that were in desperate need of supplies last year. They acquire all of their toys and books through local donations, those purchased by the Foundation, and corporate donated toys.

This year, Wade Hampton High School is taking part in a Toys for Tots drive for the Christmas season. It is a great opportunity to serve the local community and to assist less fortunate kids during the holiday season, and hopefully brighten their day. Junior Kati Lorenz, who donated to the Toys for Tots drive commented, “I donated because there’s a lot of people that don’t have the opportunity to have Christmas presents so I wanted to let a child have a good Christmas.” Students who would like to donate can drop off new, unwrapped gifts in one of the bins in the lobby to help provide a gift for children who would not receive one otherwise. In addition to helping kids, donating will help Wade Hampton win the toy drive competition that they were challenged to by Mauldin Highschool. Donate today to make a difference in someone’s life.