Star Wars: The Mandalorian: Review

Credit to Engadget for providing this image.

Avery Pollock.

Avery Pollock, Staff Reporter

With the recent release of the Disney+ video streaming app, the world has been blessed with, quite possibly, one of the greatest memes ever created from the newest Disney original Star Wars series, The Mandalorian: baby yoda. With all jokes aside, this new original series has taken the internet by storm over the past few weeks following everyone’s new favorite secretive Star Wars character, the Mandalorian.

For those who have not had the pleasure of watching the series and have only seen countless amounts of baby yoda meme templates, the first five episodes has something in store for just about every type of viewer. As a hardcore Star Wars fan, I went in skeptical at first knowing how Disney has been in the hot seat over its last two Star Wars movies, but after viewing the first two episodes, I was thoroughly surprised. The series follows the main protagonist and bounty hunter, the Mandalorian. That is right, as of now there has been no specific name given to main protagonist as well as no face reveal due to the mandalorian helmet and armor he has equipped at all times. Although there has been a tease to the reveal of the characters face, there is still no certainty to the characters true appearance. However, even without a name and human facial features, viewers can still find themselves invested in this characters journey across the galaxy. One of the best parts about this series is arguably this characters shrouded background and true nature since the Mandalorian helmet he possesses is never supposed to be taken off in front of others. In the Star Wars canon, the Madalorians were a fierce war like race that worshipped weapons as part of their religion as mentioned in the series already. Most Madalorians that we see in the Star Wars universe, with the main protagonist being no exception, go on to become a bounty hunter of some sort. With all of the main protagonist information out of the way, I can now address the elephant in the room: the child, subsequently dubbed baby Yoda.

First off, let me get one thing straight; the baby Yoda that appears in the series is not Jedi master Yoda from the original Star Wars movies and the following prequels released afterwards. We know by when the series takes place; five years after episode 6: Return of the Jedi, and five years after master Yoda had passed. While yes, the child seen in the series is confirmed to be the same race as master Yoda, that specific type of race is, as of yet, unknown. The child first appears in episode one after the main protagonist endures a long journey to complete a bounty given to him by what seems to be an ex imperial officer. However, we soon get to see just how important this bounty, and the decisions made by our main protagonist, is throughout the rest of the series. If there is anything to see in this series, it is how the main protagonists character and the child’s character develop over time. Freshman Alex Knapill had his own opinion on the show and its first five episodes: “It feels like a western movie set in the Star Wars universe. I haven’t met a single person who hasn’t liked it yet.”

While most of this review was just what one would expect from a Star Wars nerd such as myself, it is truly an amazing series to pick up on. The series does require a subscription to Disney+ in order to view, but is totally worth it along with all of the other movies, and by tangent Star Wars movies, one could view.