A Helicopter Crash That Causes Grief Around The Country

Kobe+Bryant+during+one+of+his+games.+

Kobe Bryant during one of his games.

Alden Wise, Staff Reporter

On January 26th, the world was appalled by the death of Kobe Bryant and eight other people caused by a helicopter accident. Freshman Sasha Younginer said, “His death has taught America about how precious life is and you never know when your last day is your last day and to cherish every moment in life.” The people who were lost were Kobe Bryant, Gianna Bryant, John Altobelli, Keri Altobelli, Alyssa Altobelli, Sarah Chester, Payton Chester, Christina Mauser,and Ara Zobayan. America was mourning the beloved Kobe Bryant until hours later when they realized that his daughter Gianna Bryant was also involved in the crash. Then reporters released the list of the people involved in the crash. Many people memorialized and celebrated their lives in many different ways. NBA teams and fanbases celebrated Kobe Bryant’s life by getting a backcourt violation and letting the shot clock run out. Teams did this for Kobe because the shot clock is twenty four seconds and Bryant’s number was ‘24’. Many people were waiting for the reaction of the Bryant family yet Vennesa Bryant, Kobe’s wife, did not speak out until many days after so she was able to spend time with her remaining family. 

While the family had a private funeral for close friends and family only, they are also hosting a memorial service honoring Kobe and Gianna Bryant on February 24th at the Staples Center. Many people are wanting to go to honor the two on that night, but tickets are required to get in. According to CBS, “Prices will range from $224 to $24.02. If demand exceeds the number of tickets being sold, registered fans will be entered into a lottery and randomly selected to purchase tickets.”