A Radio Signal is Coming From Outer Space. Where is it Coming From?

Credits to VOX for providing this Image.

Avery P.

Avery Pollock, Staff Reporter

Scientists have recently discovered seemingly random radio bursts coming from outside of our own Milky Way galaxy. According to VOX, the waves are reported to only last a few milliseconds in duration and arrive around every 16 days. That was the case up until recently, however. Now, with radio telescopes exceptionally equipped to detect these signals, more pieces have been added to the puzzle. 

These fast radio bursts, or FRBs, are now beginning to show up in different patterns. However, researchers in Canada with high end radio telescopes discovered 28 distinct bursts including one with a regular repeating pattern occurring every 16.35 days. But where is this radio signal coming from? It turns out that the signal is coming from another galaxy over 500 million light years away. The source, according to VOX, sends out one to two bursts of these radio waves every hour, over four days. After that it goes quiet for 12 days and then repeats the process.

So, what could these radio bursts mean exactly? Could this be signs of other life outside of our galaxy? Well, this is what is known for sure. According to scientists at the Canadian Hydrogen Intensity Mapping Experiment in collaboration with the Fast Radio Burst Project, these bursts “an important clue to the nature of the object” and “cannot be occurring by chance coincidence.” Since the signals are so consistent, they could not be formed by a large cataclysmic event such as a supernova since that is only a one time deal. 

Beyond this and other possible suggestions, scientists are still not one hundred percent sure. Freshman Dalton Cooper had this to say regarding this mysterious radio anomaly: “Whatever it is, I hope it isn’t anything to worry about.”