Exploring Diabetes with Chickens

Exploring Diabetes with Chickens

My chickens really helped me to cope with diabetes.

Maria Sellers, Editor

It has been warm since February, but now spring is officially here. The month of April has a lot of significance to me. In April of my sophomore year, I had two major life events occur. The first is that on April 10, 2015 I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. About two weeks later I got chickens. These two events may seem completely unconnected to an outsider, but for me there is an undeniable link between them.

A  few days after I was diagnosed, my family and I were supposed to go on a Spring Break trip to New Orleans. At first I was worried that we wouldn’t be able to go, but the doctors told us that we could. It was a great trip, but it was also stressful. I was trying to learn how to manage my blood sugar and explore New Orleans all at the same time. I had no idea what I was doing.

I had fun in New Orleans, but it was a relief to come back home. Still, my entire life had been flipped upside down, and it wasn’t easy.  I was trying, and failing, to fit all of the new aspects of my life in with all of the old. It was around this time that we got chickens.

After we got our chickens, I had to make sure they had food and water and check the nesting boxes for eggs daily. These simple, repetitive tasks took my mind off of my diagnosis for a blissful fifteen minutes of every day. It was nice to have something new in my life that didn’t have anything to do with pricking fingers or bleeding on a test strip. In the end, my chickens helped me through a really difficult time in my life.