Sarcoidosis Awareness Month

Sarcoidosis Awareness Month

Julianna Crawford, Staff Reporter

April is Sarcoidosis Awareness Month. Sarcoidosis is a disease that primarily targets the lungs and lymph nodes. Abnormal masses made up of inflamed tissue show up in certain organs and alter organ structure and function. While Sarcoidosis itself is not fatal, some patients die due to complications in their organs.

On April 7th, The Herald calls on all Generals to wear purple in support of one of our own. Ms. Posey’s daughter suffers from an inflammatory disease called Sarcoidosis. In 2005, Chasta Posey was entering college but she didn’t feel well. The doctors originally thought she had a kidney problem but a year later bone marrow and other biopsies revealed that she was suffering from Sarcoidosis. At 19 years old, Chasta was one of the youngest people ever diagnosed with Sarcoidosis. Chasta’s diagnosis has greatly affected her life; she had to leave college, is blind in one eye, and suffers from constant pain. She undergoes many treatments at MUSC which help with her bones and muscles for a hefty price of $19,000. Chasta’s treatment has definitely changed her outcome as she was not supposed to live past 21. She turned 31 last month.

Ms. Posey stated that “To look at someone you would not know that they have Sarcoidosis and you have to get to know a person to find out what they deal with.” Mrs. Posey went on to say, “I am grateful to God for everything that has happened and that she is still alive because it could have gone the other way.”

It is still unknown what causes Sarcoidosis and there is no cure. To donate to Sarcoidosis research and learn more visit the Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research at www.stopsarcoidosis.org or find Chasta on a number of social media platforms. Again, support Ms. Posey and her family please wear purple on April 7th.

About the Writer
Julianna Crawford, Staff Reporter

Julianna Crawford is currently a senior at Wade Hampton who enjoys hanging out with friends and listening to music. She re-joined the staff this year after...